Friday, September 02, 2005

Eddie Izzard Stole my Photographs






Three years ago, there was a street show with the most amazing line up. John Fealey, Vince Henderson, Alex and Eddie Izzard.

It was back to his roots for Eddie Izzard, I believe he started his career on the street. Progressed from there to comedy clubs, now to film stardom.

I managed to shoot two of the three shows they did. How amazing was it to see four of the best from the street performing together.

I rushed off after the show loaded down with film. Had them processed in 1 stop photo put them into an album, and rushed out in search of Vince, John, Alex and Eddie.

Tracked them down and left them to have a look at the photos, I'd get them back the next day.

I didn't get them back. But I've always wanted to use the tag line "Eddie Izzard stole my photos."


He didn't by the way. There was a little bit of an understanding. And I found out recently who has them and if I wanted them back.

Vince Henderson has them, they're sitting in a cupboard. His wife Sophie asked if I wanted them back, she kept insisting I give her my address and she would send them back to me.

Sitting chatting to Sophie, that's Sophie Aldred aka Ace from Dr Who, at my party night. I told her that I'd wanted to call my exhibition "Eddie Izzard Stole my Photos." She thought it was a great idea and I should have done it. So I've called this blog that instead.

When you photograph everything that goes on on the High Street during the Festival, loosing a couple of hundred photos to someone is just a drop in the ocean. This year has been a little quiet. The High Street seemed to be lacking the "vibe"from previous years so the number of photos I shot was slightly down. Somewhere round the 4500 mark. Still shoot film. film is trustworthy, film is tangible.

It's amazing who knows who on the street. Eddie Izzard I believe started his career as a street performer. Vince Henderson was a television presenter and became a street entertainer. John Fealey producer/ director of some of the countries top comedians. Has found life away from the comedy club circuit as a gloriously funny street performer.

Ask almost any street performer what they did before they became or returned to the street and you'll get a fair range of occupations. TMG was a computer programmer. Now he juggles chainsaws. Ask him if he'd consider going back to his previous occupation. "no way." his loud reply.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home