Thursday, September 15, 2005

From bored to Bond girl.





From bored to Bond girl.

Every day on the High Street you see hundreds of people giving their all. Promotion of their show. The key to them being in Edinburgh for the Fringe.

Some shows, even though Fringe could survive I'm sure without the constant taking to the high street stages. Or the need for flyering. Pluck were at Glastonbury this year I was informed by Emily the Manager of the Hog's Head. She had taken a few day's off to help another ex- Hog's Head member of staff in her corporate duties as a "Seagull." Pluck are probably one of these High street sucess stories. Their antics on the stages with Adrian at the lead have the crowds they gather in uproar.

This year he even started to compete with the cheers and clapping of the larger street entertainer crowds.

"Wow, back to how the High Street used to be, before some money grabbing High Street trader got her fingers in the High Street Traders Association.

" No street performers at the bottom of the High Street, No amplification on the High Street. It drowns out the Scottish music seeping through her always open door. If she had her way, the high street would be open to traffic every day her shop was just to get the business. Maybe the Fringe should transfer down the High Street to the Cannongate. Or maybe not even bother with a Festival in Edinburgh I'm sure all the businesses everywhere else would love to have crowds outside their door.

But I digress. This is about faces in crowds and on the street.

Three years or so ago I spoted early on day one a group of girls walking down the High Street. I wanted to photograph them then, but they were not part of a show as far as I colud tell, they wern't flyering for shows, just three girls. Two weeks had almost past and I thought "what's to loose." I stopped them told them what I was doing and that they'd become part of an Exhibition, as corny as it sounded. They agreed, I took some shots. Was delighted to have some of the most beautiful women I'd seen on the High Street in my collection.
"I beleive I was even more right, when I heard later that they had been in to the pub, got the shots off the wall, and had sent them off to a modeling agency. One of made it to, and with one of the countries top agancies. Select Model Agency, London. (Now I know I have a good eye.)

People always pass comment that there are more women in the exhibition than men. As a man I think it's my duty. There are enough female photographers out there to shoot the men. Anyway if I was promoting a show I'd not use me to do it, oh wait we did, ah that was the problem then this year.

The bulk of the guys you see on my boards are probably street performers. If there were more female street performers then the numbers of men could drop again.

The High Street seemed a little quieter this year, the whys and wherefor's were as varied as the performers on the street it's self.

There were day's when it did seem as if the only thing I was photographing was the same as the day before. Maybe I just needed to keep looking.

Then in the final week of the Festival I was introduced to probably the second most beautiful woman on the High Street this year, although most of the people who'd met her would say she was number 1. The number of people who asked me for copies of photos I'd taken of her could have made me a small fortune, but I was not parting with any of them.

So who was this girl. Julia from La Clique.

So the title of this blog header. From Bored to Bond Girl, Julia is up for a part in the new Bond film. Lets hope she gets it. At least I know I have a load of photos.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home